Wednesday, September 25, 2013

...but, the kids already know the technology!

I hear some version of that statement frequently, either from the people I'm teaching, or from professional colleagues.  And, I think it's doing us a huge disservice.  My "lowercase-t" truth is, a majority of people are comfortable in a couple of technological media, environments, or applications...and have to be pushed to go beyond that. 

Whoopty ding...what am I gonna do about that?

I need to stop showing a couple of videos in my class, particularly about Jalen (see below).  I think it's too intimidating to those folks who view themselves as technologically illiterate - despite that the point I try to make with the video is that, as teachers, we'll never know more than the students we teach about technology in and of itself.  But, maybe that's the wrong point?  Maybe the real point here, the one that I've been skirting too far afield of, is that we, as teachers, need to be able to model critical analysis skills on the fly so that when a student comes to us and says they want to do "X", that we have some place to direct them that meets their skill level with technology, will grab their interest and hook them, and provide a way for the learning process to fade into the background rather than having the technology get in the way...


No comments:

Post a Comment