Monday, November 16, 2015

67 days, 17 hours

That's how long I've been in CI5351 - Tech Tools for Teachers.  Whew.  Been far too busy for my own preferences, but that's not an issue in this class - it's a time management issue.  I have PhD written exams, a conference presentation, I'm still a full time student with 6 credits of coursework, and I'm teaching online and at Augsburg.  No wonder I'm tired; but, I digress.

So, what have we done so far in this class? Well, lots:
  • Twitter assignments using the #ci5351 hashtag
  • Formed SIGs of our own design and connected with other members in the class
  • Built a portfolio (did mine in Canvas)
  • Put together a podcast
  • Put together a screencast
  • Assembled an instructional video
  • Read a bunch of stuff
There's a bigger question looming here for me: so what?  Well, my purpose in taking this course was to critically examine a course I teach at Augsburg College with a similar learning goal as this one.  However, my course at Augsburg is different in that it is aimed at pre-service teachers, and those who are typically undergraduate students (although I have a fair number of graduate students in the course as of this writing).  While I value the opportunity to actually do things and build stuff, per this course, I think the most value for me so far has been in the thinking that this course has prompted and the applications I've uncovered.  Examples:
  • Having all of my Augsburg students put together a screencast presentation as part of an Instructional Design project
  • While the technology is important in and of itself, I've been more direct about the connections to pedagogy and content
  • TPACK and the Venn diagram showing intersections between TK, PK, and CK is now being used as a visual representation of the course design, and then discussed with my students
  • I've gotten more resources together to support my students
  • I made an unsuccessful pitch to the department about piloting Canvas, even as an outside thing.  "Not enough money" and "We like Moodle" were the responses I met with.  Oh well. I might just go and do things my own way, or customize Moodle in ways similar to what we've seen in this class. 
There's yet more to do.  I'm still excited to jump into this material and the learning experience, which probably says a lot about the quality of the course.  Or my lack of sanity.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment